11.13.2008

Test Tasters.

Don't let your brain fix the title. It's not about taste testing, not about Mexican tortilla test tasters, although that did contribute to the general thought provoked day.


Jim Hiebert, from the University of Delaware, will speak on "The Constantly Underestimated Challenge of Improving Mathematics Instruction." went to this today. was depressed just like he said I might be. because I've been taught for 16 years how to teach math, and there's a system in place, and unless I'm completely dedicated to pushing back against a system, I somehow feel I'll never 'make a difference' or at least that what I do for a few years in a geometry class room won't really influence america's math education ratings when compared to Hungry (I've been there by the way.)

Never make a difference. I've been tasting tests all of my life, and generally they are like spinach. I see the good in them as I've gotten older, and I like them, or have learned to tolerate and do well.

I ate a spinach salad today. And that blasted nutrition shoulder angel came out to play, thank you mando player. Suddenly spinach is only good if it was fortified in the right soil, magnesium may or may not be in my digestive system, only a farmer from some lower minimum wage country knows, or could know and probably doesn't care.

My thoughts were elevated, literally as I spiraled the stairs to see the new church education exhibit. "Joseph, God's Student" caught my eye. And I began to wonder about the perfect teachers.

Teachers who give tests, but not the same ones, teachers who care about they're students, intimately and who love them. Teachers who give extra credit, bonus points, who judge with fairness, and who also show mercy. Two exemplary teachers, who never give up.

This world is not perfect, and my math classroom is bound to have problems. I've gone through ups and down lately, wondering if I'll really love it, or have the 'fire' she told me it will take. I worry, and it doesn't help.

He's excited for boys state, another blog entirely, but it reminder me of her. Taking 18 credits, in the honors program, all smiles and all A's, and I asked her what in the world she would do with her life.

"I'm going to be the most well-rounded, highly educated mom out there."

to a list of girls I looked up to, who added "and be a mom" to their already impressive list of aspirations, she quickly jumped to the top.

I'm idealistic today, but I might as well try.

No comments: